March 23, 2007

Amy's Flight (sortof) from the Rat Race!

It's nearly over! I am officially following my bliss. I left my Supervisory role @ work for a very part time schedule with basically no responsibility, and it feels incredible! When I left last Friday after my last full-time day of glorified babysitting, I realized that moment was everything those that have gone before me had promised ... the sky was a little bluer, the birds sang just a bit lovelier, the flowers smelled sweeter, and when I got home, my husband was that much more attractive!

On the days I do work, I'm there for about 4 hours ... just flying below the radar, making a few bucks to pay for our health insurance and the occasional massage/mani/pedi. :) So here are the lovely tasks that are no longer part of my job description ---

We need to hire people ... Not my problem!

We need to fire people ... Not my problem!

Somebody needs to talk with the office perv about his inappropriate internet use ... Not me!

3 hour meetings to figure out how to manage our time effectively ... I'm not invited!

Day-long workshops discussing how what we do really matters ... Smell ya' later!

Agreeing that we are not just printing checks, we are saving the world ... Nah, we're mostly just trying to pay for college or get a dental plan.

So needless to say, I am very pleased with my new responsibilities which include showing up, helping a few customers, doing a few administrative tasks, then leaving to pursue things that matter. After working at our business each day, I have some pretty lofty plans that include cooking again, washing my own car and going to bed at 10:30. :)

4 comments:

momila said...

Ummmmm.....just a slight mention here that one of the reasons for going part time to "follow your bliss" also includes a few hours of driving the porcelain bus each day as you are experiencing one of the lovelier side effects of impending motherhood....how could THAT little detail have not made it into your blog??
Poppa & Nonny could not be happier or more excited for TWO new grandbabies this year!!
If anyone deserves to slow down a litte, Amy, it's you!

Kellie and/or Joseph said...

Dude, welcome to the club of people who sleep 8 hours each night. The membership fee (no real job) is totally worth it.

The Olson Family said...

Yay, Amy! I hope you will find much happiness and contentment with this new arrangement. :)

And now I'm off to follow my own bliss, which at this particular moment is residing in the freezer in the form of cookie dough ice cream. . .

Kellie and/or Joseph said...

Yesterday I followed my bliss all the way to the bottom of a Cooler Ranch Doritos bag.